If you are a victim of domestic violence, you may need the help of an attorney who understands this area of the law. Herreman Law Firm has been practicing law including family law in Riverside for more than two decades. If you're in need of a domestic violence lawyer in Riverside or anywhere in the Inland Empire, look over the information on these pages, and call us to set up an appointment.
About Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence is considered to be abuse that is perpetrated against any of the following persons:
- A spouse of former spouse.
- A cohabitant or former cohabitant, as defined in section 6211 of the Family Code.
- A person with whom the respondent is having or has had a dating or engagement relationship.
- A person with whom the respondent has had a child, where the presumption applies that the male parent is the father of the child of the female parent under Uniform Parentage Act (Part 3 (commencing with Section 7600) of Division 12).
- A child of a party or a child who is the subject of an action under the Uniform Parentage Act, where the presumption applies that the male parent is the father of the child to be protected.
- Any other person related by consanguinity.
Domestic Violence Abuse is described in Family Code 6203 as:
- Intentionally or recklessly to cause or attempt to cause bodily injury.
- Sexual assault.
- To place a person in reasonable apprehension of imminent serious bodily injury to that person or another.
- To engage in any behavior that has been or could be enjoined pursuant to Section 6320.
Domestic Violence Restraining Order
The consequences for a conviction on the charge of Domestic Violence include:
Imprisonment, mandatory domestic counseling, probation or parole, mandatory anger management classes, significant fines, and the loss of the right to own a deadly weapon. A person convicted of domestic violence may also suffer loss of custody and/or visitation rights with their children.
Defenses for Domestic Violence may potentially include:
Proving act of self defense, proving factual innocence, showing insufficient evidence, or proving the act was justifiable or excusable.
Domestic Violence Lawyer Riverside, CA
As domestic violence attorneys we protect the rights of the accused as well as the accusers. We've handled many cases on both sides, so we understand and excel at the processes of representing clients from both perspectives. Whatever your domestic violence issues, you can trust that we'll represent you in a way that will increase your chances of having a positive outcome. Our lawyers in Riverside, as well as our support staff, are dedicated and experienced. Call today for a no-obligation consultation.
Call Us for a Free Consultation
Riverside: 951.274.0057 Toll-free:866.946.4323
Herreman Law Firm - 5806 Magnolia Avenue, Riverside CA. 92506